|   Fantasy News  |   Funny Pics  |   Tamil Movies  |   Hindi Movies  |   Telugu Movies  |   Malayalam Movies  |  

Friday, March 11, 2011

Punter wins £1.4m from £2 bet

A 60-year-old man managed to swing a free day at the races - and then went on to win nearly £1.4m from a £2 bet.

Steve Whiteley used his bus pass to get to Exeter racecourse for free, then entered the grounds for free through a promotion.

The heating engineer, who only goes to the races twice a year, put his modest stake on the Tote Jackpot, which requires punters to pick every winning horse in six races.

The winning horses were Semi Colon (at odds of 2-1), Black Phantom (12-1), Ammunition (16-1), Mr Bennett (16-1), Lundy Sky (5-1) and Lupita (12-1). The odds against picking all six were 368,639-1.

Mr Whiteley said: "The most exciting bit was when my mate said to me after the fourth race that there were only seven people in the whole country left in the jackpot.

"And then at the last he said 'There is only one left and it's this one'. I couldn't believe it. I didn't look - I am shaking like a leaf. I am not a horse racing man. I go out once or twice a year."

He said his wife learned of his fortune as he was interviewed by the horse-racing programme At The Races, adding that his previous biggest win was £300.

The jockey of the final winning horse was Jessica Lodge, who had never before ridden a winner in 28 races without a victory.

Mr Whiteley insisted his jackpot would not stop him working, adding that he would continue in his job "until I die", and said: "My wife just saw me on TV - she can't believe it.

"I'm not really a gambling man. I phoned up today and it was free and I used my bus pass to get here."




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...